Cheshire East Council remains committed to the construction of the Midpoint 18 eastern bypass in Middlewich.
Funding has already been agreed through the Regional Growth Fund initiative and the authority continues to work hard to secure additional funding for the bypass.
There will also be a host of new improvements to the town in 2015, including fresh branding and better road and pedestrian signage, improvements to Fountain Field Park, workshop space at Saltscape for arts and crafts activities and improved access to the lagoons for local people and visitors.
Caroline Simpson, executive director of economic growth and prosperity, said: “Cheshire East Council remains committed to seeing the Midpoint 18 eastern bypass happen – it is a key project in our highways programme.
“The authority is working in partnership with Middlewich Town Council and the local MP on a wide range of initiatives with some very specific goals.
“The Council is also focused on delivering some key projects this year as part of an ongoing phased programme of investment in the town.”
The Council and its partners will work towards:
· Enhancing the town centre, with vistas and links to the canal, ensuring that Middlewich is at the heart of Cheshire boating;
· Removing through traffic from the town by linking the main routes from Crewe and Sandbach and completing the Midpoint 18 eastern bypass; and
· Committing to work closely with residents, developers and stakeholders and to plan and deliver new jobs, homes, schools, open spaces, car parking and enhanced leisure facilities, for example.
In addition, work is progressing on other initiatives which are being considered for early delivery, including:
· Planning for improvements to local bus services;
· Phased investment into the town wharf development area;
· Improved facilities for boaters;
· Sites for improved pedestrian crossings on busy roads; and
· Increasing car parking spaces.
Mrs Simpson added: “All these projects will underpin the work currently taking place on the Neighbourhood Plans – where local people can help decide where development should go and what it will look like.
“The authority continues to bring forward significant projects, such as the eastern bypass, the railway station, a new marina development and a solution to Tesco’s withdrawal from development in Middlewich. The Council will also be looking to work in partnership with the town council to enhance new community facilities where it can.”