Search This Blog

Contact the Blog

Contact the Crewenews by using our form click here

Join me on the forum below as I am on the staff as Samuria 24/7/365 worldwide support all FREE

 PC Help Forum


Thursday 13 December 2012

Spread the warmth


Cheshire East Council and Age UK Cheshire, in association with their partners and the Local Adult Safeguarding Board, are offering a range of advice and support to residents on how to keep warm, well and safe this winter.

The Council has put together a wealth of detail in one place at where residents can find advice on a wide range of topics from heating, eating and winter safety to school closures and public transport.

This week, we look at how the Council can assist vulnerable people with essential home repairs.

Improving homes, improving lives

Cheshire East Council is doing its bit to support older and disabled people with home repairs and adaptations to keep them safe, warm and independent in their homes.

Care and Repair is a service for older and disabled people, guiding them through the often complex or daunting process of carrying out repairs and adaptations in their own home.

And the Council may be able to help people to find ways to pay for the required work through a loan or grant from the authority, including urgent heating repairs during the winter.

Councillor Jamie Macrae, Cabinet member in charge of prosperity and economic regeneration, said: “If you are over 60, or if someone in your household has a disability, Cheshire East Council can help.

“People may need advice about home repairs or adapting their home to suit their needs or there may be small jobs around the home that they can no longer do.

“Also, we may be able to help homeowners who need urgent help with heating repairs but can't afford it. We have access to some fast-track funds to help to quickly put the problem right, and also have information about loans for bigger and longer term repairs.

“We aim to keep the charges as low as possible to make the service affordable and all advice and information is free of charge.

“We can offer help with many types of work around the home, from fixing a dripping tap to building an extension.”

Care and repair can also help by:

•           Offering technical advice and information about repairs and adaptations;

•           Drawing up plans and specifications;

•           Helping to employ reputable contractors;

•           Giving tips on making homes warmer and finding available offers and grants;

•           Providing information about other services to help people live independently in their own homes; and

•           Helping to find ways to pay for home repairs and adaptations and checking entitlement to benefits.

Sean Reynolds, the chair of the Adult Safeguarding Board, said: “Most of us want to live in our own homes and maintain our independence for as long as possible.

“I welcome initiatives like these, which are intended to assist its most vulnerable people, especially during the winter months, to feel warm, healthy and safe.

“This particular service can also help people to find loans and grants and give assistance with filling in application forms for funding.”

For more information, call 0300 123 5017 or visit

No comments: