Cheshire Police has started its winter drink driving campaign with a series of road safety events being run by the Cheshire Road Safety Group (CRSG) which comprises Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, Cheshire Police and The Highways Agency and Halton, Warrington, Cheshire West and Chester and Cheshire East Borough Councils who all work together as a partnership for safer roads in Cheshire.
The events, which are being held at 12 different locations across Cheshire, will feature the ‘Think′ car − a vehicle involved in a road traffic collision - which has been donated by the Wilson family to Cheshire Police to illustrate the potential risks of drink driving.
The driver of the car, Matthew, was a 21-year-old man who died on impact after losing control and hitting a tree on a rural A-road in Cheshire. He was one and a half times over the legal alcohol limit at the time of the collision.
His family were keen to get the message across about drink driving to other young people and they have been supporting the winter drink drive campaign of Cheshire Police who are using the ‘think′ car as a platform to deliver road safety awareness.
Road Traffic Officer, Tony Hayhurst from Crewe, said: "Seeing the wreckage of a car is the biggest wake up call for many drivers - it opens their eyes to the reality of what can happen and more importantly, how a small amount of impairment, speed or short distraction could end in tragedy."
Hannah, who is the sister to Matthew, said: "The amount of alcohol that people drink can have a major effect on the circumstances of the evening. Drinking after consuming any amount of alcohol has the potential to impact on the competency of the driver."
The first of the 12 road safety events was held in Frodsham on Friday 30 November and there have since been events in Warrington and Chester, with more to follow.
Twelve days of Christmas road safety events:
- Friday 30 November from 1-5pm, Bears Paw, Frodsham
- Friday 30 November from 7 -10pm, Coliseum Retail Park, Cheshire Oaks
- Saturday 1 December from 10am − 4pm, Cockhedge Shopping Centre, Warrington
- Monday 3 December from 10.30am − 4pm, The Cross, Chester
- Saturday 8 December from 10.30am − 2pm, outside Marks & Spencer, Northwich
- Friday 7 December from 10am − 1pm, Crewe Retail Park (near M&S)
- Friday 7 December from 2-5pm, Nantwich town centre
- Tuesday 11 December from 10-4pm, Runcorn town centre, opposite the Co-op
- Wednesday 12 December from 9am − 2pm, Widnes market (but the Think car won′t be there)
- Thursday 13 December from 10am − 4pm, Asda in Runcorn
- Friday 14 December from 1-4pm, Morrisons, Stockton Heath and then from 7-10pm at the Mulberry Tree, Stockton Heath
- Thursday 20 December from 4-9pm, Bridge Street, Warrington
For more information and road safety advice, visit www.cheshire.police.uk.