Cheshire East Council is in the running to scoop five prestigious national awards for excellence in public service.
The local authority has five entries shortlisted in the Association for Public Service Excellence (APSE) Service Awards 2016.
The Council’s shortlisted entries are:
● Best public/ private partnership working initiative – Fairerpower energy supply partnership between Cheshire East Council (CEC) and OVO;
● Best community and neighbourhood initiative – CEC/Ansa community partnership to recycle Christmas trees and raise funds for Cheshire East Hospice;
● Best service team: highways, winter maintenance and street lighting – Cheshire East Highways;
● Best service team: transport and fleet maintenance – TSS, the Council’s own transport company;
● Best service team: construction and building service – for the new £15m Crewe Lifestyle Centre.
Councillor Rachel Bailey, Leader of Cheshire East Council, said: “This is fantastic news and recognises just some of the excellent and innovative work the Council’s dedicated teams and our arm’s-length companies are delivering for local people.
“This Council puts its residents first – and I would like to congratulate all the Council staff involved in these projects and thank them for all their hard work to help deliver quality services for residents.”
Cheshire East Council Chief Executive Mike Suarez said: “To be nominated for an award is a real feather in any authority’s cap – but to be nominated for five is tremendous recognition for the quality of the work and services provided by Cheshire East’s workforce for local residents.”
As an example of the innovative work being undertaken by the Council, the ‘best community and neighbourhood initiative’ entry saw the Council support a community-led project that has recycled more than 55,000 Christmas trees and raised more than £675,000 for East Cheshire Hospice during the past 16 years. The trees are used to create a much-needed natural soil improver for farmers.
The award winners will be announced at a ceremony in September.