Reporter Jonathan White, Wistaston
A whole day of events took place at St Andrew’s Church, Bedford Street, Crewe on Saturday 18th June 2016 to celebrate both the 90th birthday of the Parish of St Andrew and Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday.
Events included children’s activities such as bead necklace making, fish pattern paper weaving, and the decoration of buns to eat; there was an organ recital with Phil Houghton, Simon Russell and Father Powell (St Barnabas, Crewe); a singalong with The Diamonds choir; Fred Allman and Chris White performed together as ‘Pick n Mix’; detailed and extensive historical displays relating to Parish of St Andrew; a display relating to Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday; a prize raffle and an evening concert with the Wistaston Singers. There were refreshments at breakfast, lunchtime and at the interval in the evening.
During their evening concert Wistaston Singers sang songs from 42nd Street, Mamma Mia, and Les Miserables as part of an extensive programme. Conductor Phil Houghton also played the organ. Chris White sang and played his ukulele. Jane Hale was the Accompanist, who also played the flute and saxophone. There were also many soloists within the choir. The Church was bedecked with celebratory bunting and the audience was encouraged to wave their Union flags and sing along to Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem and join in singing the National Anthem.
Priest-in-Charge of the Parish of St Andrew Reverend Lynne Cullens was present all day and thanked everyone for their support.
Proceeds from the day will go to the upkeep of St Andrew’s Church.
History of the Parish of St Andrew: Christ Church was built in the mid-1800s by the railway companies for its workers, along with houses, shops, gas works and a hospital. By 1890 the new town of Crewe had grown and a new Church was needed north of Nantwich Rd. The new church opened in 1890 in a house in Catherine St, and was called the Mission of the Good Shepherd. By 1920 it had transferred to a tin hut on the corner of Bedford St and Ernest St and the congregation worked hard to raise funds for a new permanent church building to be dedicated to St. Andrew. The actual parish of St Andrew came into being on 18th June 1926, with the brick-built church on Bedford St. officially opened in 1932.