Shed and Garage Breaks
During the last couple of months we have had an increase in shed and garage breaks, the incidents are occurring throughout the night. A number of bikes have been stolen and vehicles broken into, if you see something suspicious please report it on 101.
We know that these offenders are currently operating in this area, and are working hard to catch them. But we do not want local residents to fall prey to them, and so offer the advice within this email to offer some Crime prevention advice.
Outside Your Home
· Make thieves feel exposed when they approach the front of your property using low hedges or low fencing.
· Use garden lighting to deter trespassers. Choose lights which come on automatically at dusk and stay on all night until dawn. Low wattage bulbs can cost less than 1p per night in electricity.
· Growing a hedge made from a prickly bush or planting prickly bushes next to fences can deter trespassers from climbing over.
· Don’t leave tools and ladders lying around for burglars to use.
· Join a local Home Watch scheme (your local police officers will be able to tell you if there is a scheme nearby)
· When you are away let your neighbour have contact details for you (or someone who can act on your behalf) in case of emergencies
· And consider asking them to collect post or open & close curtains
PCSO 20324 MEGGS