–Grab tickets for Cheshire East Libraries’ Readers’ and Writers’ Day
Don’t miss your chance to spend time with some of your favourite authors later this month.
Cheshire East Council has unveiled the line-up of writing talent that will be on show at its library service’s Readers’ and Writers’ Day to celebrate books and reading. And tickets are still available.
Performance poet Tony Walsh – aka ‘Longfella’, who was ‘poet in residence’ at Glastonbury Festival 2011 – will host an afternoon of activities including an author panel and workshops at Macclesfield Library on Saturday, September 22.
The guest novelists and publishers taking part include:
● Kevin Duffy, from Bluemoose Books, an independent publisher, who will talk about the publishing process. This is a great opportunity for writers to discuss new technologies and publishing;
● Helen Walsh, Warrington-born author now living in Liverpool. Go To Sleep is her third novel. Her first, Brass, published in 2004, won the Betty Trask Prize. Her second novel, Once Upon a Time in England, won a Somerset Maugham Prize;
● Alison Boyle, Preston-born author of From Pakistan to Preston, a fictional story about the artificial silk industry in the North. Alison is keen to share her book journey with us – showing how everyday life plays a part in writing and reading;
● Emma Jane Unsworth, Manchester-based author, whose first novel, Hungry, The Stars and Everything, has just won the Betty Trask Prize. Emma Jane will talk about her debut novel;
● Sherry Ashworth, from Little Gem Publishers. Sherry is an author, publisher and lecturer. She will share her wide experience and love of reading in an inspirational and entertaining way.
Councillor David Brown, Cabinet member in charge of performance and capacity, said: “I would encourage avid readers and writers to get themselves along to this event as we have some excellent writers and publishers attending.
“They will be on hand for readings and workshops on the day and visitors will also be able to purchase books and get them signed by the authors at the event.”
Tickets, priced £10, are available from Macclesfield Library, Congleton Library, Crewe Library, Nantwich Library and Wilmslow Library. The event runs from 12.30pm to 5pm.
Tickets include afternoon tea from Macclesfield’s Cherry Blossom Bakery and an opportunity to round off the evening with a ‘meal deal’ offer from Fina Bar and Grill.
For more information about the event, visit Cheshire East libraries’ website at: www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/libraries or ring Macclesfield Library on 01625 374000.