Cheshire East Council is encouraging children, parents and the wider community to get behind a campaign to improve attendance and punctuality at schools in Crewe.
Schools across the town have come together on the ‘Every Minute Counts’ project, which aims to build on steady improvements in classroom attendance over recent years.
Evidence shows that children who miss periods of school at a young age are less likely to succeed academically and more likely not to be in education, employment and training (NEET) after the age of 16.
Punctuality is also a major focus: if a child is late for school they could miss the most important part of the lesson and find it hard to catch up.
Elements of the campaign already in places are:
- Local rail company Bombardier will sound their hooter at 8.45am on Monday, September 24, to mark the start of the campaign and the start of the school day;
- Schools will display banners showing their support for the scheme, there will also be a large banner outside Crewe Library;
- Pupils will design their own banners, with the winning entry being displayed on Arriva buses in the town;
- Teaching staff will make a point of welcoming each child as they arrive at school; and
- Children at Wistaston Green have written comic strips to help families organise things like homework, sports kit and dinner money the night before.
Parents have a big role to play in their child’s education and they are urged to encourage good attendance, especially when their child doesn’t feel like going to school.
Councillor Hilda Gaddum, Cabinet member in charge of children and family services, said: “I am fully behind this campaign and I hope it stresses to both children and their parents about how important punctuality and good school attendance is.
“Pupils will never get this time back and, at a time when jobs are scarce, good education and qualifications are vital for future prospects.”
Several local businesses and community figures have already lent their support to the campaign, leaving comments on a dedicated web page: http://creweschools.pbworks.com/w/page/53293138/ATTENDANCE