Search This Blog

Contact the Blog

Contact the Crewenews by using our form click here

Join me on the forum below as I am on the staff as Samuria 24/7/365 worldwide support all FREE

 PC Help Forum


Thursday 1 October 2020

Cheshire East Council advises housing tenants on a change in legislation

Cheshire East Council is advising tenants that a change in government legislation recently came into effect.

The ban on evictions, that were introduced in March during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, have come to an end.      

Government guidance strongly advises landlords not to commence or continue eviction proceedings without a very good reason.

There are some changes that will continue until 28 March 2021, these are;

● A landlord must give a minimum of six months’ notice, and when this expires would need to go to court as a tenant cannot be asked to leave a property without a court order, and;  

● If proceedings are ongoing the landlord would need to re-activate the case by contacting the court. They would have to provide information about the tenant regarding the effect of COVID-19 on the household and any vulnerabilities or need to shield.  

Tenants who are struggling to pay rent, or homeowners struggling to pay their mortgage should contact their landlord or mortgage provider in the first instance to discuss the circumstances and to try and find a solution.

This could include things such as a payment holiday or an agreement to pay back any arrears over a period of time.

Residents who have lost their job or have had their income reduced may be entitled to claim benefits. There are on-line calculators to help work out which benefits you may be entitled to, visit

If you do not have access to the internet your local benefit office will be able to assist. If you are struggling with your budget generally organisations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to help.

Councillor Nick Mannion, Cheshire East Cabinet Member for Environment and Regeneration said: “The COVID-19 pandemic has affected many people, sadly the situation has resulted in some residents becoming unemployed or struggling financially.

“Government legislation provided extra protection for tenants for the past six months; this has now changed so it’s important that those who maybe continuing to struggle seek advice and support as soon as possible. 

“I would urge residents to speak to their landlord or mortgage provider as early as possible so that a solution may be found, and to check if they are entitled to any benefits as a result of a change in circumstances.” 

If you do receive a notice from your landlord or are struggling with housing issues the sooner you contact the council the better.

If you have any questions you can telephone 0300 123 5017 (option 1) for advice or e mail .

If you are homeless or have concerns about someone who is homeless, telephone 0300 123 5017 (option 2).

No comments: