Macon Way and Grand Junction Retail Park have been reopened following yesterday’s fire at Macon House.
The building, which is currently disused, is owned by Cheshire East Council and is in the process of being demolished.
Road closures and a cordon were put in place as a matter of public safety after the fire broke out due to heavy smoke and concerns about the risk of asbestos contamination.
While we must stress that the risk to the public was very low, the safety of our residents is our upmost priority and asbestos monitoring was carried out in the area this morning.
Following the monitoring, air contamination levels were deemed by experts to be below the level for concerns and both the retail park and Macon Way were reopened at just after 11am.
As a precaution, further monitoring is being carried out at premises located in the immediate vicinity of Macon House.
We thank residents and businesses for their patience while the closures were in place.