Councillor Michael Jones has been reconfirmed as the Leader of Cheshire East Council.
The Conservative, who represents Bunbury Ward, was formally elected to the post at a meeting of Full Council today (Wednesday, May 27).
Cllr Jones, who is also the leader of the Conservative Group and Chairman of the Cabinet, has led Cheshire East Council since May, 2012.
He unveiled a new-look Cabinet team, which followed members David Topping and Peter Raynes standing down as Borough councillors and the election of new Conservative members to the authority.
Cllr Jones said: “I am honoured and very proud to have maintained the confidence of not only my party group and the elected council members, but also the people of Cheshire East. It is a privilege to be re-elected to lead Cheshire East Council.
“Cheshire East is in a very good position with a record low-level of unemployment, a strong and growing economy, new businesses establishing in the Borough and massive investment projects under way for roads, infrastructure and the regeneration and revitalisation of our major towns. Things are really on the move in Cheshire East.
“But there is still much to do and this Council will not rest on its laurels or allow for any complacency.
“My Cabinet is essentially the same strong, capable and committed team – but with some talented new recruits, which I have great confidence will continue to deliver for residents.
“The Cabinet is a highly experienced and talented team which has matured into an effective group, who know each other and work well together.
“This is essential for meeting the significant challenges and opportunities ahead – and maintain our commitment to putting residents first and delivering value for money for the people of Cheshire East.
“We face some tough challenges ahead, but I am very confident that by continuing to work hard and be innovative in the way we operate we can achieve great things for our residents.
“We look forward to performing effectively and ensuring that Cheshire East remains as Best in the North West and a superb place to live, work, visit and do business.”
The Cabinet members are:
● Cllr Michael Jones, Council Leader, Chairman of the Cabinet;
● Cllr David Brown, Deputy Leader, responsible for Highways;
● Cllr Ainsley Arnold, responsible for Housing and Planning;
● Cllr Rachel Bailey, responsible for Children and Families;
● Cllr Janet Clowes, responsible for Adults, Health and Leisure;
● Cllr Paul Findlow, responsible for Performance;
● Cllr Les Gilbert, responsible for Communities;
● Cllr Peter Groves, responsible for Finance and Assets;
● Cllr Don Stockton, responsible for Regeneration and Assets.Deputy Cabinet members are: Cllr George Hayes – Children and Families; Cllr Stewart Gardiner – Adults, Health and Leisure; Cllr Glen Williams – Communities; Cllr Sam Gardner – Finance and Assets; Cllr Tony Dean – Regeneration and Assets.