Welcome to this, my 173rd news bulletin...
Local Growth Fund announcement for Crewe town centre
Crewe is to benefit from a major funding boost following this week's announcement that the Government has awarded Cheshire East £10m to support its town centre regeneration plans.
This funding, to be allocated over four years, is part of the Government’s £43.3m injection into the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) area, and is a sub-region share of a total £556m investment for the Northern Powerhouse, split between the region's 11 LEPs.
Nationally, this has been the most competitive round of the regional Growth Deal yet; more than three times oversubscribed, with LEPs submitting high-quality proposals worth £5.9 billion. No LEP was entitled to a particular share of this funding, and those LEPs which have demonstrated the strongest understanding of local economic priorities, have strong, accountable governance structures, and have shown an ability to attract substantial private sector investment have been rewarded most highly.
This further funding commitment builds on the £7.7 billion the Government has already awarded to LEPs, and is a crucial part of the Government’s agenda to drive growth and devolve power to local areas - with decisions being made by those who know their local area best, and supporting the Government’s commitment to build an economy that works for everyone.
Edward Timpson MP
Member of Parliament for Crewe and Nantwich
Please remember, you can always contact me directly if you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do to assist you.
On Monday, the Prime Minister, Theresa May, used her first regional Cabinet meeting to launch proposals for a modern Industrial Strategy to build on Britain’s strengths and help drive growth across the whole of the country.
You can find out more about these initial proposals - including the Government's 'ten pillars' for industry and growth - and contribute to the public consultation via the following links:
- Met with the Secretary of State for Transport, Chris Grayling MP, to discuss the development of HS2, Phase 2, and how it can best deliver for the people of Cheshire
- Made representations to the School Standards Minister, Nick Gibb, about proposed funding for Cheshire East as part of the Government's National Funding Formula.
- Discussed support for young people leaving care and the work of the Young Lives Foundation – a children’s charity committed to improving the lives of vulnerable and disadvantaged children and young people in Kent & Medway - with Helen Grant MP and Clive Emson.
- Appeared before and responded to the Children and Social Work Bill Committee.
- Welcomed Nell (Eleanor Alexandra Timpson) to the family!
- Held my regular advice surgeries in Crewe and in Nantwich.
I'm delighted to announce the birth of Nell (Eleanor Alexandra Timpson), on Monday 23rd January 2017. Very many thanks again to the amazing midwife team at Leighton Hospital Maternity Unit.
Jobs & Apprenticeships Fair - MMU Cheshire, 9 February 2017
On 9 February 2017, Manchester Metropolitan University (Cheshire) will be hosting a FREE apprenticeship and jobs fair.
Up to 30 high profile North West employers and organisations will be in attendance, and MMU careers staff will also be on hand to offer advice and support.
You can find out more information, and register your attendance, visit: