Councillor Margaret Simon, chair of the health and adult social care overview and scrutiny committee, said: “I found it very upsetting and disappointing that some members of the public who attended today’s meeting had been badly misled and misinformed by those who clearly had their own political agenda.
“This meeting was to scrutinise the Cabinet decision to decide whether further advice was needed before the Council moves forward in designing a plan for dementia care over the next two years to meet the needs of Cheshire East residents to 2020.
“The second call-in matter was to consider whether the Cabinet should reconsider its decision of July 1, 2014, where it simply noted the block purchase of beds that they approved in June 2013.
“This meeting was not a forum for discussion of the future of the Council’s individual care facilities.
“No decision has been made to date about specific services offered at these facilities. Any future changes arising from the implementation of the Dementia Care Plan will be subject to full consultation and robust scrutiny by the members of this committee.”
Councillor Jos Saunders, vice-chair of the scrutiny committee, said: “I was mortified that people had been so misled by others about the purpose of this meeting and that so many of them went away angry and frustrated.
“They clearly thought they were here to discuss something that was not even on the agenda. Any decision about the future of services provided by our care facilities would always be subject to full public consultation.”