Courier fraudsters have been identifying themselves to victims on the telephone as “Detective Constable Martin Benton of New Scotland Yard Fraud Department”. The fraudsters will invent a story regarding fraudulent activity on your card and request your bank/card details.
No such person exists at the Metropolitan Police. If you receive a call from someone purporting to be this individual, terminate the call immediately.
Protect yourself against courier fraud:
- Your bank will never send a courier to your home
- Your bank and the police will never collect your bank card
- Your bank and the police will never ask for your PIN
- If you receive one of these calls end it immediately
- If you have handed over any details to the fraudster, call your bank and cancel your cards immediately.
- If you want to call your bank, then do it from another telephone.
If you believe that you have been a victim of fraud you can report it online http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud or by telephone 0300 123 2040.