Search This Blog

Contact the Blog

Send your news and pictures to the blog here jan@janwright.co.uk

Contact the Crewenews by using our form click here

Phone the Blog 0794-1728819

Join me on the forum below as I am on the staff as Samuria 24/7/365 worldwide support all FREE

 PC Help Forum

'

Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Cooking fires remain a concern for Crewe firefighters

 

Following a number of cooking related fires in the Crewe area recently, firefighters would like to warn residents of the dangers.
A forgotten pot on a high heat or an overfilled pan of oil can quickly turn a culinary delight into a matter of life and death.

Last year over half of all accidental fires in the home in England were linked to cooking.

So Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) are urging everyone to think safety first when cooking. A few simple measures will keep you and your loved ones safe.

Top tips for cooking are:

  • Take care when cooking with oil – it sets alight easily
  • Do not leave cooking unattended – a forgotten pan can lead to disaster
  • If cooking oil starts to smoke, it's too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool
  • Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer instead of a chip pan as they can't overheat
  • Avoid children being in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob
  • Don't overfill a chip pan with oil – never fill it more than one third full
  • Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn't splash

What to do if a pan catches fire:

  • Don't take any risks. Turn the heat off if it is safe to do so. NEVER throw water over it.
  • Don't tackle the fire yourself – Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.

Crewe Station Manager Paul Binyon said: "A moment's distraction could turn your kitchen into a tragic scene. Unfortunately fires can easily start if people don't take enough care. They can also occur when people leave their cooking on while they go outside to enjoy the fine weather.

"By following a few simple precautions you can greatly reduce the risks for yourself and your family. I would also urge people to make sure that they have a working smoke alarm installed. If there is a fire, a smoke alarm will warn you, giving you and everyone in your home time to escape to safety.”

For more information about cooking safety visit www.cheshirefire.gov.uk or follow cheshirefrs on facebook or @cheshirefire on Twitter.

No comments: